David Myles has a way with a phrase. How, for example, could the witty and life-affirming meditation on aging When It Comes My Turn have come from a man who was only 25 when it was released five years ago? You can’t underestimate Myles’s knack for melody, either: just listen to Turn Time Off, which draws the connection too seldom made between mellow performers like James Taylor and the sweet soul inspiration of Sam Cooke.
If you want to sample the New Brunswick singer-songwriter’s body of work, including songs from his latest disc, Into the Sun, be at Upstairs on March 20.
Here’s what Myles has been listening to lately:
1. Husbands and Wives Susie Arioli Band
2. Big Cheeseburgers and Good French Fries Blaze Foley
3. Pernambuco Luiz Bonfá
4. Hide Me in Thy Bosom The Dixie Hummingbirds
5. It’s Only a Paper Moon Nat King Cole
6. The Lakes of Pontchartrain Paul Brady
7. One Love Nas
8. Kare Nanhasi Hallelujah Chicken Run Band
9. Everything I Do Gonh Be Funky Lee Dorsey
10. Shelley My Love Nick Lowe